Saturday, June 18, 2011

My love of lawn mowing...


I do believe I have perfected the art of mowing our overgrown lawn.  It seems it just grows faster than I can mow it.  That and all the rain we had this year.  Today, as I finished up my mowing I realized I didn't get stuck once. Now if I could just remember where the holes & roots are. 


 Lawn mowing and me go back to the 50's.  Our first lawn mower was so "green" and even today I can remember the sound it would make as it went back and forth on the lawn.


 But it was soon relegated to our summer camp (Tom Kettle Lake), 
where my sister and I would get the job of mowing the little patch of "lawn".


 Today, that little mower has a a unique and honorable
 resting place.  Leaning against the wall of our store.


And this is what replaced that trusty, green, no gas needed lawn mower.  
Sitting in our garage waiting for it's weekly chore. 

I loved mowing the lawn but we had a poodle who made
the grass in the back yard very very lush. 


If we didn't keep up the weekly back yard mowing it would become a nightmare trying to get that mower through it without it stalling.  I become quite adept at lifting the front of the mower when ever I heard that tell tale sound of shutting off because it was easier than pulling that cord multiply time.


Over the years those push mowers were replaced, at my moms, where my boys
took over mowing for her, to the homes I had after getting married.  Who would have guessed that one day I would make a living mowing lawns for the government: first with John and then James and then Joshua, we would travel throughout Oneida County maintaining the lawns of repossessed houses.

And this was a good lawn compared to some we used to get.

Now, my lawn mowing is curtailed to my yard.  And we have a beautiful Ferris mower
that makes it so easy.  If I had to mow "the manor" by push mower it would be an
 8 hour a day job 5 days a week.

 

Now, I can get it all mowed in just a weekend and that includes mowing around the trees, the berry bushes, the gardens, the tree roots, the rocks, the fallen apple tree branches.......

AND I LOVE IT.




In Pacific islands, such as Guam and Hawaii, they have plants called sleeping grass.  
They have thorns when they close up.


I came across this photo and it did give me a giggle.  Of course,  being the horticulturist I am I needed to find out just what sleeping grass.  AND, it is the sensitive plant that we would grow in the greenhouse back in the 70's when I would for Cerri Flowers. Never thought of calling it sleeping grass. 
 It would close up when ever it was touched.  



No comments:

Post a Comment