Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How much WOOD did my wood chuck chuck?........

We have all heard that tongue twister  - How much wood can a wood chuck chuck and I finally have the answer. But first let me tell you about these "cute" little creatures that have invaded the farm.  I have to admit - they are cute as they waddle and scurry along.

Over the years,  I have noticed a HUGE burrow in a large pile of soil out in the back orchard.  I knew who lived there but hey, I figured maybe he's a bachelor seeing as I didn't notice any children.  Anna my woodchuck wonder dog found one about 15 years ago so maybe that was his lady.



Woodchucks are tenacious.


 And they stick together.



And they have this wonderful knack of MULTIPLYING.


 And they are amazing architects.

Which brings me to the answer you are all waiting for.  Wood Chucks don't chuck wood.   THEY CHUCK ROCKS.  Last month while doing yard cleaning John and I came across one of the architects projects, about three feet from the chicken coop door.  Not being educated in the fine art of woodchuck chamber building we decided to throw some rocks into the opening.  The rock rolled out of site.  Four dozen bricks and rocks later we finally stuff that hole full.  And, yes you guessed it.  Tonight while mowing around the coop, yes the grass was about 3 feet high, there was this pile of rocks.  That chubby chuck had removed about 24 rocks before he gave up.  Now that is what I call one hard working wood chuck. 


ALL ABOUT WOODCHUCKS and after learning all you need to know about woodchucks, check out the rest of Anne's web page.

1 comment:

  1. We have a family on our back lawn. I love watching them.

    ReplyDelete