Saturday, July 16, 2011

I just love bugs...


Summer means bugs and killing jars.  I have been intrigued with them since I took a summer enrichment program in 5th grade.  That was when I made my first bug collection.  When my children were in school collecting insects was required for science class and then again in college where our collections seemed to get really large.  When I mentioned this to a friend she dutifully brought me a very large bug - a June bug who of course didn't realize it was July.  

Now, this is what I call a big bug, at least for New York State.  


And the only thing cooler, is the grub form.  We would find these in rotting trees and sometimes in the ground around the farm.  They are similar to the cycling of japanese beetles.


An organic method can be had by applying insect parasitic "nematodes They're available in some garden centers or online. These microscopic worms burrow into the grubs, reproduce and spread a bacteria that kills the grubs; if you must know the "hows." Results vary and a second application may be necessary. Be sure to water before and after if you use nematodes.

To fight them chemically you can find grub killer in your local garden center but I prefer not to go that root. 

To keep them at bay, hand pick the June bugs whenever you see them active. Dump them in a bucket of soapy water. Encourage birds and toads, if you can support these natural predators.
If you hang out traps you may just end up essentially inviting all the beetles in the neighborhood over for a feast.  We don't recommend that at all.  Of course if your neighbors use the trap method that would be ok cause they'd be over there dinning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment